Re: Taskbar replacement

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Onyeibo Oku <twohotis gmail com> wrote:
> That's the idea!
>
> I tend to see this as something that should happen outside of 'activities'
> mode.  This does not diminish the importance of the 'Activities' mode
> however ... which is still better for an overview and workspace management.
> Now that I see that it is possible ... next is, will it be accepted by Gnome
> in general?  What is the right channel/process?

Talk to the designers! Most of this stuff is discussed on IRC: you
want to go to #gnome-design and #gnome-shell. Most of these people are
on the east coast, so we're in EST. Usually you can bounce ideas off
of each other about how best to do this, and have a lot of fun getting
a mockup down.

> I still don't get what you mean by 'look-alike window decorations'.  Is that
> it?  Looks so much like what I had in mind though.

"Window decorations" include the one pixel border for the resize
cursor and title bar that are drawn outside the regular window. The
window itself doesn't draw this right now, gnome-shell/mutter do. We
can't really put the actual window title bar for the reasons I
mentioned before, so we'll have to draw title bars that look exactly
like the regular title bars, but are really a separate thing. I think
Giovanni is working on porting the window title bars over to Clutter,
so this will probably help a bunch.