Re: thoughts on the sexy new calendar thing

Hey,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Robert Park <rbpark exolucere ca> wrote:
> So, let me start by saying I love the new calendar. It's sexy as hell.
> This is not a criticism. This is just one little observation that
> could improve usability for some users.
>
> I have a bunch of events listed in my evolution calendar. Shell
> displays 'Today', 'Tomorrow' and 'This week' sections in the calendar.
> that's excellent, BUT, the 'This week' section should *really* be
> "Next 5 days" instead of the current behavior which I would describe
> as "what's happening after tomorrow but before this sunday."
>
> That is to say, I have important events listed for this sunday, and
> the calendar is not reminding me about them, even though that's just a
> few days away.
>
> I know in corporatey type situations it makes sense to think about
> things on a weekly basis and then on the weekend you don't want to
> think about work at all, but unfortunately the whole "monday to
> friday" thing is not as common as people think. I work tuesday to
> saturday, so for me sunday is the first day of the weekend. If I look
> at my calendar on saturday night, I need to be able to see at a glance
> what i have planned for the next day, sunday.
>
> If this could be implemented this way, it would make the calendar's
> display of upcoming events much more fluid, making it easier to plan
> for the events of next week at the end of the current week, instead of
> the current behavior of just arbitrarily cutting things off by some
> random day of the week that somebody decided was a good day to ignore.
>
> Thanks for reading.

Thanks for the kind words!  I think in some cases it doesn't work as
well as we'd hoped in "corporatey" environments either.  Those folks
seem to have a ton of meetings and we pretty quickly use up all the
space.  I think for next GNOME we can make it a bit nicer for
everyone.

You have some good ideas here.  Can you file a bug with the problem
and your suggested solution?

Thanks,
Jon