Re: No minimise/maximise (again)

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 8:58 AM, G. Michael Carter <mikey carterfamily ca> wrote:
I see this "Distraction free computing" come up about gnome 3.   Watching a movie and you need to bring an application, having all applications disappear and show up as thumbnails on a separate screen seems very distracting to me.   I have two montiors and one of my monitors goes blank (well with background) to bring up the activities screen.   I'd find it "less" distracting if I could bring up applications via a short key without disrubting all the things I'm working on/monitoring or watching.   If anything leave the second monitor alone.

There is some work on multi monitors, it hasn't landed yet.. but will soon.  I don't know what the behavior entails but I believe it is on live.gnome.org.

But that's just me... I've been using docky to work around this distraction.  Much nicer to just have a little bar that appears at the bottom with your applications than taking over your entire desktop.  Of course the fact it can take up to 15 seconds or longer to bring up the activities menu doesn't help.  But it only happens on my Xeon quad cores oddly enough.  Graphics and the Dell T100 and 840 just don't seem to get along. All other computers I have it's 1-2 seconds.

I use gnome-do, and I no longer use docky.  It isn't necessary anymore.. Performance is an issue but that will resolve with maturity. I use gnome-do primarily because as a sysadmin it's easier for me to pull up ssh shells rapidly when I need to.

sri