Re: MOCKUP: Additional overlays

While it looks very neat, and I like the concept, I'm not sure
pluggable overlays is a good idea - it's making the overlay more like
a program than a shell, and I can see it adding too much complexity.

I'm also a big fan of the breadcrumbs idea, and your idea for multiple
overlay menus would clash with that.

However, I think the 'people' overlay is an idea worth exploring, and
the mockup is really nice, and definitely something I would use.  I've
seen other mockups where the instant messaging status is integrated to
the right hand side of the main panel, and I wonder if an overlay like
this could become the default action for the right hand side?

I've not got the time to create a mockup, so I'll try to describe what
I'm thinking:

Could we do a two part overlay that launches from a button on the
right hand side of the panel (where gnome currently shows name and IM
status)?  That would then open the second gnome-shell overlay, but
this time focusing on instant messaging and powering off the computer.

On the right would be a simple menu, for changing IM status, and with
power options at the bottom.  Then you would have a dividing line
separating the menu from the left hand side of the screen, which could
be used to display a 'people' overlay like the one you created.

Ross

PS.  While I'm still not sure they're a good idea, if you wanted to
add pluggable overlays, you might be able to add them to that area on
the left, activating them from this menu.