Re: How do we want the different parts to integrate (Was Re: What goes in gnome

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 09:33:52AM -0500, Jon Trowbridge wrote:
> Just to add another data point: Jody and I have been sufficiently
> disappointed/frustrated in our efforts to use Bonobo for embedding Guppi
> graphs inside Gnumeric spreadsheets that we intend to drop it for the
> GNOME2 port.  In the future, gnumeric will directly link to the libguppi
> shared library.

Absolutely.
bonobo/corba are perfectly reasonable as long as the interface
between container and client is very narrow
    'me container you slave, show window'

As soon as things get more complicated, eg attempting to syncronize
data back and forth the going gets ugly.

Lets focus on
    - persistence
    - displaying a simple window
    - printing

just getting those right will take alot of work.