[gnome-love] GNOME Keyring Manager project

                Hi GNOME lovers!!!

        This is the the presentation of a new and cool gnome-love project:
"GNOME Keyring Manager guided development". GNOME Keyring Manager is a real
GNOME application, needed for GNOME Desktop 2.8 for managing keyrings.

        It is an interface to create, delete and modify keyrings, as well
as items inside them.  The main application window will show available
keyrings and its info (if it is locked, if it will lock on idle, that idle
time, and the last modification/change time). You should be able to open a
keyring, in a new window, show each item on it, and add/remove/modify items
in it.

        The main purposes of this project is to get new people involved in the
development of this application as well as document every step in the wiki:

        http://gnomesupport.org/wiki/index.php/GNOME%20Keyring%20Manager%20Wiki

        Just now there is only the skeleton of the application, showing
available keyrings, and lot of things need to be done, so we will proposing
little tasks here and _you_, GNOME lover, should ask, try, code, and sent
patches. Mariano (from the gnome-terminal fame) and me (from the
madrid-crazy-night fame) will help you.

        So, how to start?

        First get the source code from gnome-keyring-manager cvs module (look
at http://developer.gnome.org/tools/cvs.html for help about cvs). As the
anoncvs may not synced, I put a initial tarball at:

        http://www.gnome.org/~fherrera/gnome-keyring-manager-0.0.1.tar.gz

        and then begin to hack on it!

First proposed tasks:

 * Create a new keyring: We have to connect the clicked signal of the "New"
   button to a function that will present a dialog asking for the name and
   then call gnome_keyring_create and install a callback to check the result
   (and if there is an error like "it already exist", handle that). After
   that, we should add the keyring to the tree.

 * Connect the Lock/Unlock buttons: Use gnome_keyring_lock and
   gnome_keyring_unlock. We should again update the tree to show the change.

 * Delete button: Use gnome_keyring_delete.

 * Use an image in the tree view to show if the keyring is locked or not. For
   the lock_on_idle we want a checkbox (that when chages will update the
   keyring info using gnome_keyring_set_info) so we'll use a
   GtkCellRendererToggle there.

 * Add a window icon to the application.

 * Add i18n (that is, internationalization) support: a good read for this is
   the Internationalising GNOME applications guide.

        So... begin to ask (in this mailing list or in #gnome-love irc
channel), begin to code!

Salu2

--
Fernando Herrera de las Heras
Onírica: análisis, diseño e implantación de soluciones informáticas