Re: KDE vs. Gnome?

Hello Andy and all,
I have spent an extensive amount of time working with and learning the
Gnome desktop environment, so this post will have some bias. None the
less, I have had a chance to install and use the KDE2 pre-release, and I
must admit, it is very polished. Some elements about it that I find
frustrating is that programs like Konquerer (the KDE file manager / web
browser) does not seem to work under Gnome. And programs like Kmail
don't allow you to use Netscape to browse URL's, which is my biggest
frustration since all gtk based (Gnome applications are all gtk based)
email programs are under developed right now.
As for Gnome vs. KDE, I personally feel that the eventual winner will be
Gnome, as it is receiving a lot of support from companies like Helixcode
(www.helixcode.com), makers of Helix Gnome and Eazel (www.eazel.com or
nautilus.eazel.com) whom are making the file manager / web browser for
Gnome, called Nautilus. The people that started Eazel are the people who
first developed the Mac O/S, so I'm sure that Nautilus will be an
outstanding product. Last I heard they are embedding the Mozilla
(Netscape 6) browser engine in the Nautilus application, allowing you to
both view files on your local machine and web sites, plus File Transfer
from the Internet. I'm running the latest development version on my test
machine, and it looks really promising. As does Evolution (groupware
from Helixcode) and Gnumeric Spreadsheet (an MS-Excel compatible
program). Gnome has seamless integration with my palm pilot, providing a
direct sync with the Gnome Calendar and the Gnome Address Book.
Evolution will also have full Palm sync capabilities! Also, Gnome has
the option of using most any window manager. Something not so easy with
KDE as it comes with it's own. Free software is about choice. You can
choose between KDE and Gnome, but at least with Gnome, you can also
choose between window managers!
I realize KDE has much functionality, so I'm sure it will be a wonderful
environment also.  The choice is yours to make. Whichever you choose,
I'm sure it will be a good experience!

Take Care,

Garrett Mickelson