Re: BadMatch when starting Linux Gtk/Gdk applications on IRIX display

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 10:08:42AM +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:
> I don't know if this mailing list is the right place to post the
> following problem, but I can't think of anywhere else to send it, so
> here we go:
>
> When I do a remote login to a RedHat Linux 6.1 host from an 02 running
> IRIX 6.5.6f, then start certain Gtk based applications, I get a
> "BadMatch" error message. The applications include AbiWord, for  which
> the error message is
>
>      Gdk-ERROR **: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
>        serial 117 error_code 8 request_code 72 minor_code 0

You get these errors because whoever wrote the program didn't properly
handle multi-depth machines.  Your O2 can display windows, and
portions of windows, in differing color depths, but the programmer has
to make sure to use the correct visual and colormap, or else copies
may not work.

Please file a bug report for each of the programs that crashes for
you.  Tell them that they are ignoring colormap and visual issues.
Suggest looking into gtk_widget_push_{colormap,visual}.  If you want,
tell them to mail me if they have any questions, and I'll explain the
problem and fix to them.

Obviously, for Applix 5.0, you may have a harder time convincing them
to look into it.

--
Ian Peters
itp@helixcode.com