Re: Let's get GNOME-Journal published

After going back through the mailing list archives and an impromptu
meeting in #gnome-journal on Gimpnet IRC (Come join us, we won't
bite!), I believe we have the content to publish a new edition of GJ!
I think we have 2 major to-dos around content and infrastructure.

Current Content:

* GNOME Asia Summit Recap
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-journal-list/2008-November/msg00000.html)
- Need an editor to volunteer

* Interview with Stormy Peters by Jayson Rowe
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-journal-list/2008-December/msg00002.html)
- Need an editor to volunteer

* Gconf Configuration Editor
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-journal-list/2007-December/msg00016.html)
This one is slightly older, and needs to be checked for accuracy and
edited.  Volunteer?

* Sri is also working on an application review

Infrastructure:

It appears that our test instance of GJ running on Wordpress is on our
server at http://test.gnomejournal.org.  I believe there was some talk
about moving it to the GNOME infrastructure, and that has not happened
yet.  One earlier email late last year was sent to Jeff Waugh by
Jayson Rowe, but Jayson never heard back from him.  Does anyone have a
suggestion on who we can contact or the process to make this happen?

According to Lucas in an email last August, the work that needs to be
done to finish porting GJ from our current CMS to Wordpress:
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-journal-list/2008-August/msg00018.html)

* Polish the CSS - there are still some small problems
* Find a Wordpress plugin or template for the archives which makes the
new page look like the current one (Archives on Wordpress:
http://test.gnomejournal.org/archives/ / Current Archives:
http://www.gnomejournal.org/archives/ )
* Make the article URLs backwards compatible. We could just manually
add redirects for all current article URLs to the new ones. For
example: http://gnomejournal.org/article/60/an-interview-with-daniel-g-siegel
would redirect to something like
http://www.gnomejournal.org/blog/2007/03/an-interview-with-daniel-g-siegel
in WP.
* Migrate the images to the new system.  Might be as easy as making
sure the images are in the same directory in Wordpress.
* After everything is ready, import all GJ data from TXP CMS to
Wordpress through RSS.  Lucas did that for testing purposes last year,
and it seemed to work fine with some minor tweaking to the RSS before
importing.

With all that said, next steps are:

* Edit current articles (Need volunteers)
* Find a contact in GNOME to help with next steps in getting GJ on the
GNOME servers / Wordpress platform (blogs.gnome.org?)
* Find volunteers to help with finalizing moving to Wordpress,
including CSS experience and WP plugin experience

In talking in IRC today, and in the spirit of moving forward
aggressively, I would like to suggest a brief meeting in IRC this
week, either Wed or Thursday, at 10 p.m. EST / 2:00 a.m. GMT.  I
understand that might be a bit early for those in Western Europe, but
I'm not where everyone is, and I understand that similar times have
worked in the past.

A rough agenda would be to discuss the content and infrastructure next
steps recapped above, a potential publication date, and future
planning.

Please let me know what day would work better.  I will volunteer to
keep notes and publish a recap after the meeting for those who can't
be there.

We need your help - we need editors, CSS hackers, and Wordpress
hackers for this next edition.  Looking forward to hearing from you!

Paul