Re: OSTree hosting

On Thu, 2012-02-02 at 14:23 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-01-27 at 17:56 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
>
> > In other words, OBS doesn't replace jhbuild.  OSTree does.
>
> Any other thoughts/opinions?  One thing I will say is that again I'm
> just interested right now in having a way for knowledgable GNOME
> developers to experiment with it and contribute.  If down the line (say
> a month or two) we find it isn't useful for that target audience, we're
> not feeling it's worth spending time/money on, I'd be fine with removing
> it.

I think it would be fine to give Colin a VM on clutter and see what
happens with this. In terms of resource utilization:

 Disk space: not a concern - we have lots more disk space there than we
    can reasonably back up (we have about 1.5TB free unallocated right
    now)

 CPU - generally not a limiting factors for the services we're hosting.
    Say limit to 2/8 cores on the machine.

 Memory - I think we're fine allocating 4GB/32GB for the machine.
    (More if that would reduce IO bandwidth)

 Networking bandwidth - if thousands of people start updating, we need
    to start measuring but initial demands shouldn't be big.

 I/O Bandwidth - the resource where we're most constrained. Right
    now we have basically no I/O on clutter (which has a pretty good
    raid array). The only thing it hosts is extensions.gnome.org which
    is database backed.

    Migrating mail/etc. onto this machine might make us more
    constrained, but I don't think it's a blocker.

- Owen