Re: git status update?

Le mardi 03 mars 2009 à 14:59 -0500, Owen Taylor a écrit :
> On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 20:39 +0100, Claude Paroz wrote:

> > > Any advise and insight into the code in that hook.
> > >
> > >         # The Persian (fa) team is using localized numeric formats
> > >         # in their .po files, but gettext on cvs.gnome.org isn't
> > >         # new enough to handle them.
> > > #       DASH_C=""
> > > #       BASENAME=`basename
> > > #       if [ "$BASENAME" != "fa.po" ]; then
> > > #               DASH_C="-c"
> > > #       fi
> > >
> > > (we used to pass in -c for everything but fa.po, and now we pass it
> > > in for nothing)
> >
> > Are they other check options passed (--check-format, --check-header,
> > --check-domain)?
>
> No.
>
> > > Would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > mgfmt on git.gnome.org (RHEL 5) is version 0.14.6
> >
> > Well, this is indeed an outdated version. e.g. msgctxt support has been
> > introduced in 0.15. Would it be possible to build a more recent version?
>
> When that comment was written, cvs.gnome.org probably was running the
> RHEL 4 version, so two years or so older than that. :-)
>
> I'm hesitant to update such a core package as gettext away from the
> system version. So, a fix would probably require creating a package of
> gettext that installs in a non-system location (we're trying with newer
> systems like to git.gnome.org to have all software reproducibly
> package.) Definitely possible but outside the scope of the git
> migration.
>
> > With a more recent version, the -c check could be reintroduced and
> > general po quality improved.
>
> So, the conclusion is that the "localized numeric formats" is no longer
> a significant issue?

Probably, but I can't tell for sure in which version of gettext this is
no more a problem.

> The GNOME translation team is using other gettext
> features that prevent the use of -c (as of 0.14.6) in any case?

The msgctxt feature probably. Anyway, I'm not in favour of checking po
files with such an old gettext version.
Maybe we can simply drop this hook for now. Note that this is not a
problem for translators, maybe more for maintainers. Don't forget the
msgfmt check is also done on l10n.gnome.org.

Claude