Re: git status update?

Le mardi 03 mars 2009 à 11:41 -0500, Kristian Høgsberg a écrit :
> On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 10:30 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 05:20 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
<snip>
> > >    (I would still think that it'd be nice to have a very limited script
> > >     that can only do checkout/update/commit for translators, so they
> > >     don't have to struggle with the git ui, but well, that's just my
> > >     opinion)
> > >    [not blocker, unless l10n.gnome.org gets broken]
> >
> > Alternate command line frontends just seem confusing to me. Improvement
> > here to me is getting translators away from the command line, whether
> > it's commits from l10n.gnome.org, transfix, pootle, or whatever.
>
> I tried to write one and it just drove home the point that it's not
> worth it.  It's better to just provide a svn -> git cheatsheet for the
> typical translator workflow.  When things work ok, the script isn't
> really improving much over the git command line, when things go wrong,
> it's another layer to add to the confusion.  The two actions in the
> translator workflow where git is different enough from svn to possibly
> justify a wrapper are
>
>         1) Provide commit+push in one command.  Just a small convenience
>         if you're not used to the distributed work flow where commit
>         doesn't push to the server and might forget to push.
>
>         2) git pull won't pull down new commits if you have uncommitted
>         changes in your working copy.  The wrapper script could patch
>         out the local changes, run git pull, then patch the changes back
>         in.
>
> But in both cases I think it's better to just get used to the slightly
> different workflow: 1) remember to push and 2) finish and commit your
> changes before pulling.

On the i18n side, you don't have to worry so much:

1. Stats generation already works fine with git modules.

2. We have already an excellent walkthrough written by Simos Xenitellis
on http://live.gnome.org/GitMigration/Translators

3. We are working on an autocommit functionality from l10n.gnome.org

The only remaining task is a rather simple post-commit mail which Owen
shouldn't have any difficulty to port.
I just wonder about a pre-commit hook which I think checks the po files
validity (msgfmt check). IMHO It should also be rather easy to rewrite
for git.

Claude