Re: [GNOME-India] Meeting with openforge folks

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 4:33 PM sai suman <suman sai14 gmail com> wrote:
Perhaps we could present case studies where governments have successfully adopted GNOME and since promoting open source is already an important aspect for the Digital India movement of GoI, it should be a compelling enough reason for them to adopt GNOME and keep up with the state of the art.

I'm not certain we actually have any case studies to present.  One of the challenges we have is that we have no data on who is using GNOME because distros do not collect that data.  We have no way to even judge the market for GNOME.

One of the nice things is that flatpak might help here, because once we set up a software channel we can at least look at who is using our software as part of using GNOME technologies.  We probably can't extrapolate desktop usage from it, but it will at least be a new vector to use when determining the strength of our platform.

sri

Sai.

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 3:47 PM Arun Raghavan <arun accosted net> wrote:
On 16 December 2016 at 11:54, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
> I'm planning on meeting with the Openforge folks (http://openforge.gov.in/)
> Dec 19th at 14:00 IST to talk about the GNOME software stack and possible
> ways we could have a partnership.
>
> In preparation for the call, I was wondering if we could come up with some
> points that the Indian government would find compelling in regards to the
> GNOME software platform and it's application on e-government.
>
> One thing that is clear to me is that we have an advantage regards to the
> fact that our applications and the GNOME desktop has good community support
> for a fairly large number of Indian languages. The  the recent GNOME.Asia
> conference in New Delhi is another data point.
>
> I was hoping that some of you could maybe point out other advantages or
> points that I might have missed.  What features do you think our platform
> might have that would resonate with Indian developers?

These are probably all obvious, but just to list out what the big
draws are from my perspective:

1. Languages and community: you covered this already, but our
locallisation teams are pretty amazing, and there's likely a lot of
spaces for people to participate and contribute as well

2. Usability: I think the the user-experience focus in GNOME means
that picking it over other solutions doesn't have to mean a poorer /
compromised experience, and you gain all the benefits of a truly
free/open platform -- so why would you not? :-)

Cheers,
Arun