Re: Translating schema files (was: Re: Survey results (yay!))

El dg 31 de 10 de 2010 a les 12:52 +0100, en/na Johannes Schmid va
escriure:
> Hi!
>
> > > Futher, I think extra po files complicate the build system quite a bit
> > > and I really don't want to do that for my modules (anjuta has about 20
> > > schema files though they aren't translated at all atm).
>
> It's not only about the one-time change (which is a pain of it's own and
> cherry-picking from other modules won't work at all because of different
> setups) but also about the maintaince of the build system. I usually
> spend 2 hours to fix distcheck for every release and 50% of the things
> are related to l10n. Note that it's usually not a translators fault
> (though sometimes) but should the difficulty to bring everything
> together.

Should then bugs be filled for whatever tools are used to make releases
(this distcheck you said)?

I mean, if it's a PITA for each release, why not try to fix it upstream?
I know that build systems are complex and all, but they are software for
that matter and can be improved/fixed.

> I am just pretty sure that you don't have a real chance to push that
> through a desktop-devel-list discussion as people have far more
> important problems to fix currently and definitly don't want any more.

That's why I started the discussion here, if we (translators) agree that
we want to push for this changes the release team will be then
challenged to tame the developers that surely will be against adding
complexity to their projects (even though gimp has more than 4 po
directories and gtk+ has two).

Also, if it's a GNOME goal (in the same way it was the msgctxt) it will
be easier to find the experts on the matter and propose a general
approach to the issue rather than each maintainer having to face the
issue all alone.

> I think we can solve the same by just improving our tools in a way to
> allow gtranslator to filter by message-type for example.

Sorry, for me the tool isn't gtranslator, vim po-mode, gedit, kbabel, or
whatever, the tool is Damned-Lies. It's the one you are going to use to
see if there's work remaining, and as i explained in another mail,
having filters surely will help skip the schemas/errors strings but on
the tool (D-L) you will still see that the module misses some strings
and you will not see a string addition.

Having a 100% translated module means that when you are on [1] you can
hide them all with one-click (right-top link "Hide completed modules")
and see that GNOME 2.32 Catalan translation is only missing GLib.

On your scenario you will never figure out which modules are missing
non-schemas and non-error strings but more importantly, even if D-L is
trained to also filter those strings, then you will be forced to use
only the translation systems which allow you to also filter these
strings (none right now).

Cheers,

[1] http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/ca/gnome-2-32/ui/

--
gil forcada

[ca] guifi.net - una xarxa lliure que no para de créixer
bloc: http://gil.badall.net
planet: http://planet.guifi.net