Re: gnome-applets locations translation

Ar Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 03:15:07AM -0700, ysgrifennodd Seán de Búrca:
>     I'm looking at the template in po-locations and a cursory look over
> it tells me that it will be absolutely impossible to correctly translate
> in its current state. There's no context in the original XML and as such
> it is impossible to distinguish between Shannon, Ireland (Sionainn) and
> Shannon, Virginia (Shannon). It seems like adding context would be a
> long and painful process allowing us to undergo the long and painful
> process of translating thousands of placenames.
>
>     The question then becomes: is it worthwhile trying to find an
> alternate solution? Can we find a way to retain functionality while
> making internationalization a) possible and b) (much) less of a hassle?

I'm a bit out of the loop here -- I never did figure out subversion
or whatever it is it all moved to -- but is this the great huge list
of thousands and thousands of "locations" (generally airports and
weather stations)?

The version of the list I saw (some years ago) had no context, and
I spent hours and hours gooling some of the locations, because we had
the same problem as you. What looked like Welsh placenames turned out
to be in.. come to think of it, a good number of those were in
Virginia, too. My geography is now much improved.

Someone had a script for "replace all the empty msgstrs with the
contents of the msgids", so that then you just went through the results
of that and looked for names relevant to your language to fix. That
was about the extent of it.

What is involved in providing more context? Is it something that
can be split up between different people?

Telsa