Re: scroll bar and drop down list usability

Philip Armstrong wrote:
> ... the middle button was
> called 'menu' and *always* brought up a menu appropriate to the thing
> clicked upon. (There were *no* menu bars in RISC OS --- everything was
> done with pop-up menus brought up by middle-clicking ...

Sounds a lot like CMU's Andrew. Does RISC OS have any relation to
Andrew?

I really like the strong mouse button conventions too -- IMHO individual
applications shouldn't be able to re-bind the mouse. In a perfect world,
I'd like to have the mouse binding be global with standard actions in
all applications. (If the application didn't support the action it shouldn't
do anything.) Since all apps don't follow the same binding conventions,
it would be neat to enable a "logical event" model for the mouse. Instead
of apps getting a mouse-button-2 event, they could get a post-menu event.

Keith Packard is proposing extensions to the X rendering model, perhaps
Gnome should consider extensions to the X event model? (Mousesyms and
Mousecodes?)

- Ken