Re: scroll bar and drop down list usability

One argument against scroll bars on the left is that it makes selecting text
near the left edge of the window more likely to result in accidentally
scrolling. Selecting text near the left edge of the window is far more
common than selecting text near the right edge of the window (because the
left margin is usually flush where the right margin isn't, and because
selecting from the beginning of a line/paragraph is a common case).

I used a text editor once that I liked very much except that it had the
scroll bars on the left. I constantly miss-clicked by a pixel or two and
wound up scrolling. It was bad.

John