Re: Word-a-Day: capplet, preference tool

Revised proposal
capplet
Do not use.  Use either "preferences window" or
"settings window" instead.
preferences window
A small application that allows users to change their
personal preference settings.  Use "preferences window"
only to refer to them generically.  To refer to a
specific preferences window, simply use the window
title.

Correct:
To change the handedness of your mouse, open the
  *Mouse Preferences*.
The Preferences submenu of the global System menu
  provides access to various preferences windows.

Incorrect:
To change the handedness of your mouse, open the
  *Mouse Preferences* preferences window.
To change the handedness of your mouse, open the
  *Mouse Preferences* capplet.

When naming a preferences window, end the title with
the word "Preferences", unless it does not fit with
the rest of the title.  If the title ends with the
word "Preferences", use this form for any buttons or
launchers, but use the title without the word
"Preferences" for the menu item in a Preferences menu.

See also settings window.
settings window
A small application that allows users to change
system-wide settings.  Use "settings window" only to
refer to them generically.  To refer to a specific
settings window, simply use the window title.

Correct:
To change the color depth of your display, open the
  *Display Settings*.
The Administration submenu of the global System menu
  provides access to various settings windows.

Incorrect:
To change the color depth of your display, open the
  *Display Settings* settings window.
To change the color depth of your display, open the
  *Display Settings* capplet.

When naming a settings window, end the title with
the word "Settings", unless it does not fit with
the rest of the title.  If the title ends with the
word "Settings", use this form for any buttons or
launchers, but use the title without the word
"Settings" for the menu item in a Settings menu.

See also preferences window.

Note that the recommendation to use Preferences or
Settings in launchers, but not in menu items, isn't
entirely possible in all cases.  If I drag something
from my Preferences menu to the desktop, there's no
facility for it to change its name.

Nonetheless, I think it's a good recommendation,
even if we can't always follow it to the letter.

--
Shaun