Word-a-Day: capplet, preference tool

capplet
Do not use.  Use "preference tool" instead.
preference tool
A small application that allows users to change their
preference settings.  Refer to a specific preference
tool using its title and the phrase "preference tool".
If the title ends with the word "Preferences", drop
this when used with the phrase "preference tool".

Do not use the word "capplet".

Correct:
To adjust the handedness of your mouse, open the
  *Mouse* preference tool.

Incorrect:
To adjust the handedness of your mouse, open the
  *Mouse Preferences* tool.
To change the appearance of the applications on your
  desktop, open the *Theme* capplet.

There currently seems to be about equal usage of
"preference tool" and "preferences tool".  My pick
is "preference tool", because I think it sounds more
natural.

--
Shaun