Re: Double colour correction?

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Gary Edwards <edwards gary gmail com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using GCM on fedora and have noticed something that I hope
> someone can explain.
>
> I have profiled my display using a Huey which corrects a slight blue
> cast.  This all seems fine.

What you are seeing is the VideoLUT being applied... This corrects for
color temperature (and IIRC gamma).

> However when using colour managed applications, such as GIMP or geeqie
> the images seem to have a red cast which is not present in non colour
> managed applications such as feh.

What you see here, is the color matrix being applied. This is the
actual "profile"...

> My question is is there some type of double colour correction going on
> here?  Should I only enable display correction or colour management in
> applications not both at the same time?

Nope, VideoLUT+color matrix should be the only truely accurate rendering.

If you download and open this image in GIMP (with "Try to use system
profile"), it should look pretty natural.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/calibration-1400.mg

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn