color profiles in gnome color manager and in applications

I've finally gotten around to color-calibrating my display in Linux. I'm
thankful that there's all this great software for doing so.

However, one thing makes me confused, and I wanted some clarification. This
message
<http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-color-manager-list/2011-January/msg00002.html>
suggests that the corrections applied by loading the device profiles at
session startup are just color temperture (and perhaps gamma -- the above
message isn't sure, but it seems to from my experience), and that to really
_use_ the profiles, they should be enabled in each application.

This makes sense to me but I want to make sure it's correct -- color
management is so complicated that it seems easy to inadvertently do
something wrong and end up with _worse_ results than uncalibrated.

Thanks!