Re: gnome a11y documentation Re: Forming an Accessibility Steering Committee

Hi Don:

> Just to point out that GNOME accessibility guide 2.20.1 got a huge
> makeover (care of the Ubuntu doc team) and is slightly more up-to-date
> now :)  If you're talking about this, please use 2.20.1 as a base.

You're awesome!  Thanks!  I'm assuming the new guide is here:

http://library.gnome.org/users/gnome-access-guide/stable/index.html.en

If so, it looks pretty good and thanks for your efforts on it. After a quick look, I see some sections that need updating. For example, the accessible login stuff still refers to the Gnopernicus srcore executable instead of Orca:

http://library.gnome.org/users/gnome-access-guide/stable/sysadmin-30.html.en

There's also overlap between this and the gdm docs:

http://www.gnome.org/projects/gdm/docs/2.20/accessibility.html

Plus, the links for Orca are also missing:

http://library.gnome.org/users/gnome-access-guide/stable/ats-2.html.en

Content for the Orca pages can be cobbled from these pages, or the content could just refer to them, allowing the Orca team to continually and quickly update the pages as Orca evolves:

http://live.gnome.org/Orca/ConfigurationUse
http://live.gnome.org/Orca/ConfigurationGui

On a higher level, I think we need to take a bigger picture view of the GNOME a11y documentation and consider a big refactor/reset -- it's currently spread out over a number of places, with many of these places being somewhat outdated and/or unorganized.

What I'd like to see is a main 'jumping off' spot that developers, future contributors, and users can start with and then easily end up getting to the information they want. I'd propose that this place is the WIKI (http://live.gnome.org/GAP or perhaps a page with a more intuitive name http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility).

I'd also propose that we "clean house": get rid of all the old stuff and/or clearly mark it as being an archive. In addition, we should strive to eliminate overlap as much as possible. We've had a number of problems, for example, where people have ended up on AT-SPI documentation that is not accurate, mostly because there seem to be a number of pages that have been created over time.

I think this kind of work really needs a good writer with a good sense of how to organize and wordsmith the content. With this proposed refactor, I'd like for a writer to not only help do the work, but also help us devise a clear plan for how to maintain the pages and how/where new documentation should be added. For example, assuming a new assistive technology comes along (e.g., MouseKeys), I'd like to see a plan for how its end user and developer documentation can be quickly reached from the 'jumping off' spot.

If this makes sense, is this something you can help with?

Will