[Gimp-developer] Fwd: Fwd: Gimp Registry Future

darn gmail default ;-)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ingo Lütkebohle <iluetkeb gmail com>
Date: Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 5:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Fwd: Gimp Registry Future
To: Pat David <patdavid gmail com>

Answers below.

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Pat David <patdavid gmail com> wrote:

What are the current statistics of uploaded scripts/plugins?  It might help
us to formulate a plan if we knew a little better what the current state of
influx is.  (Are we seeing ~5 uploads a week?  10?  20?).

It varies a bit, of course, but 10 is a good ballpark figure, when counting
both plugins and scripts.

However... We get about one user registered every five minutes. That is,
between 200 and 300 users a day. And those are the *successful*
registrations, i.e., those that pass the text analysis and the captcha.

Also, I'm of the opinion that the registry, whatever it ends up becoming,
should be focused on the task of hosting the plugins/scripts.  Right now
there is a sort of forum module bolted on (which is clumsy and hard to use
in Drupal, imo).  Do we intend the site to also be a forum?  Do we just
want the ability to comment on specific plugins/scripts?

The forum functionality would be stripped, as I am told that there are
other good venues for such things.

That said, we should be aware of the fact that commenting on plugins was
sort of an accident (Drupal has comments on anything by default), but
proved unexpectedly popular. I guess having both the plugin download and a
feedback function in the same place was fairly compelling. A replacement
should take that into account, and offers an easily accessible feedback
method that redirects people to the appropriate place.

My gut feeling is that we are not getting overwhelmed with the number of
submissions to the site, and it's something that might be reasonably
handled by a few volunteers to vet the entries (and yes, I am volunteering
to help with this if we go this route).

Well... Yes, I agree, but that's a bit besides the point. This is not about
replacing the back-end. We can replace the back-end at our leisure, of
course, if people want that, but its working right now.

I am talking about replacing the *front-end*, to integrate things more
tightly with the gimp, and improve the user experience. This was a request
that Michael Schumacher made, for example, and that others have also made
in the past.

cheers

--
Ingo Lütkebohle, Dr.-Ing.
Machine Learning and Robotics Lab, IPVS, Universität Stuttgart

PGP Fingerprint 3187 4DEC 47E6 1B1E 6F4F  57D4 CD90 C164 34AD CE5B