Re: [gdm-list] User feedback on multi-seat gdm and ConsoleKit

Wayne:

This works, in that I get two separate X processes, two greeters, and two people can login. There are a few rough edges, though:

1) VT switching breaks things. I'm not really clear how this should work; I would think the VTs should be per seat, although this would require multiconsole in the kernel. Anyway VT switching appears to just affect the first seat. Ctrl-Alt-Fn to switch from either keyboard causes the first seat to switch VTs; if I go to a text console, then that console get keystrokes from both keyboards. Worst is that if I then switch back to VT7, I get the X session back on the primary seat, but it is now also getting keystrokes from both keyboards.

4) Audio device ownership isn't getting set at all from either seat.

My understanding is that VT switching only works on the console display,
and not on multiple attached displays.  Did VT switching on multiple
displays ever work for you with the old GDM, or in any other
configuration?

Regarding your issue with a session accepting keystrokes from multiple
keyboards and audio device permissions.  Note that different distros
manage device allocation and permissions differently, and the Xserver
configuration also plays a role in how this works.  So, these sorts of
problems may not be closely related to GDM.

5) I don't know how to configure the greeters I end up with; I like to disable sound and avoid having to click "Login" before entering my username.

The new GDM always shows the "Login" button.  There is currently no way
to configure it to not show that button.  Also, the new GDM does not
currently provide any configuration options to disable sound.

The GDM Init script gets run before displaying the GUI, so if Fedora
provides CLI to turn off sound, you could run it from there.

Brian