Re: [gdm-list] l10n question: Is the word "display" meant in the X11 sense?

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 20:18 +0100, Åsmund Skjæveland wrote:

> Is the word “display” as it appears in various strings in GDM meant to
> be in the strict X11 sense, where “display”, “screen”, and “monitor” are
> different things, or is it used in a more colloquial sense? I ask
> because if it's an X11 term it can't be translated, but if not it must
> be translated.

I'm not sure a conscious decision has been made in all instances, but
having had a look at the strings, I think it'd be safest to assume that
it's being used in the strict X11 sense.

If you encounter a string that sounds like it's referring to a physical
display device (e.g. "What you see on your display..."), that is a good
indicator that it's being used in the colloquial sense, which could
warrant an exception.

--
Hans Petter