Re: cairo, freetype, fontconfig, et al.

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:41:41 -0400, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:

> GARNOME builds and runs on N different versions of P different distros.
> Building these applications insures that GARNOME sees versions of
> external packages that are consistent with and known to work with
> GARNOME.
>
> The question of which external apps to build rather than install from
> the distro has no exact answer.  Not all external packages are available
> from all distros.
>
> There is a secondary consideration. Libtool files for external distro
> packages often pull in other libtool files for external distro packages
> which sometimes conflict with packages built within GARNOME.
>
> It's a moving target.
>
> -Joseph

Thanks for the explanation. That's kind of what I figured. So, basically,
garnome would have to be tested against each distro-supplied library  on a
case by case basis. Then, I suppose, it's a matter of sed'ing the
Makefiles to remove dependencies on the LIBDEPS line to particular
libraries from being built redundantly.

I suppose such a scheme could be optimized for one particular distro and
version but then, once a version gets bumped somewhere, then it all starts
over again!

--
Peter