Re: GNOME Speaker Guidelines

On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 11:21 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> It would be better if GNOME defined a precise set of rules (ie. "don't
> mention religion").

	And you might know - I rather liked Lefty's random talk on his buddhist
pilgrimage at the last GUADEC, but Aaron's bacon-fest horribly offended
my sensibilities [ or something ], and as for Miguel's historic "Unix
Sucks" talk, it's hard to know where to begin un-twisting myself ;-) [or
perhaps not].

>  As for the hazy areas, common sense is a better
> judge than a set of written rules. If someone does something grossly
> inappropriate just don't invite them to further events.

	Quite; this is ultimately the best sanction; I assume it has been
silently applied against the most egregious offenders, as it always has
been.

	I'm sure lots of people worked very hard on trying to come up with a
sane sounding policy ( and it does seem fairly mild - the punishment
AFAIR being "a very hard stare" ;-).

	But it does seem a little silly to need a policy at all. Ultimately, I
guess we need to accept and live with the fact that ~everyone is
unbalanced in some way, and has some or other noxiously offensive
opinion, and perhaps provide some interactive booing & hissing / sharp
questions from the audience at times ;-)

	Regards,

		Michael.

--
 michael meeks novell com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot