Re: Can we improve things?

On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 21:56 +0200, Steve Fr�naux wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 04:00 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > [...]
> > > It's also related to *why* people
> > > want to be on Planet GNOME -- for instance, it sucks that some people make
> > > blogs solely to be published on Planet GNOME.
> >
> > Curiously, why does that suck ?
> >
> > Not everybody likes to make a hobby out of writing a personal journal, some
> > people who do not share this journaling hobby otoh do have interesting
> > things to post to a planet with a specific audience.
> >
> > How are those people's blogs less valuable ?
>
> I'd even go one step further saying than most people care about gnome
> and gnome apps, and not about one's cats and the other's culinar
> niceties.
>
> There are too many posts everyday on gnome, as highlighted by a few
> persons in this thread. I don't think limiting access would be of any
> help, but maybe it's time to (somewhat) focus the editorial line or our
> planet, for instance by only showing posts tagged "gnome" by their
> writers.
>
> As an alternative, we could even have two planets: one about gnome, and
> one about peoples.
>
> Because despite Gnome is people, I think that for most people, Planet
> Gnome is primarily about Gnome.

No.  The way planet started, it was about people.  Or friends in fact.
I personally am not interested in reading an all technical Planet GNOME.
For example, more than reading about latest boring feature in Evolution,
I prefer reading cool cooking recipes or mind wrestling puzzles, *on
p.g.o*.  It's a way to keep track of what my fellow hackers are doing.

Of course it's not appropriate to have someone's cooking blog aggregated
on p.g.o.  The rule is, it should be a personal blog.  That's it.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759