Re: Can we improve things?

On 9/12/07, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
> I'm just not going to get caught up in all this alarmism about censorship. I
> can't imagine why anyone would think I could get away with actual censorship
> of Planet... it would be laughable if it wasn't so mean spirited.

It is not true, but it is not laughable. I don't for a second doubt
that you do not censor planet.gnome.org. But many months ago I emailed
you and asked to get my blog syndicated. I never got any reply and
left it as that because I didn't care very strongly about it and my
blog isn't that good anyway. One could speculate why one doesn't
receive any reply:

1. Jeff gets so many mail each day that he forgot about it.
2. The mail got lost in the spam filter.
3. Jeff doesn't like you.
4. Jeff doesn't like your blog.
5. Jeff doesn't like your politics.
6. Neither you nor your blog is elite enough.
7. planet.gnome.org in an old boys club.

Of those, only 1 and 2 are really plausible. But there is *no way to
know that*. Which is why you people resort to speculations which is
why this whole thread started.

Which is why a transparent process is really really important.
Requests should be handled through bugzilla because then everyone can
see that it is all open and all allegations about nepotism is totally
unfounded.

Oh, and I don't believe the argument that "feelings might get hurt if
someone is publicly rejected." If someones ego is so fragile that it
breaks by being rejected from syndication, one must ask why you're
publishing a blog for the world to see in the first place?
planet.gnome.org is an important source of gnome related news and
understandably, not everyone can belong.

Not that I think very many would be rejected in an open system. It's
not like people would apply unless they actually are interested in and
writing about GNOME and free software.

--
mvh Björn