Re: Can we improve things?

Le mardi 11 septembre 2007, à 18:14 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero a écrit :
> On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 15:56 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>
> > That's exactly like how NewAccounts [1] work.  So, just use that process
> > for planet.  Pros:
>
> NewAccounts is our current process, which means endless delays and a lot
> of screaming.
>
> Right now I don't care about the reasons why it is so; I've heard very
> lengthy explanations.  It is a process which is just not working as we
> want.
>
> So this is not an option.

At this point of the discussion, I want to raise some points:

 + the idea behind the current process is not bad. The implementation is
   suboptimal, though, and can be really annoying, as several people
   pointed out.

 + a few people are trying to fix the current process by writing the
   software needed (for NewAccounts, but I imagine it could be extended
   for things like planet). Maybe help is needed to get things ready
   (and maybe not), but nobody proposed to help :/

 + this should go live soon, as Olav explained (that's why we needed to
   enforce the new MAINTAINERS format), so maybe we can wait for it to
   go live and see how it goes before throwing everything.

 + this discussion is helpful in some ways, but I'm not sure we're
   getting the most out of it. Eg, I've read here and there that there
   are no clear guidelines for inclusion on planet or for hackergotchis.
   There were some replies about the current guidelines and suggested
   guidelines, and I don't think anybody took them and put them down
   somewhere. Maybe this would be a good way to start solving this
   specific issue.

 + we only have a few really active infrastructure people, and they're
   trying to fix issues. They can't fix everything at once. We're a very
   big project, and I'm not surprised to see such issues because we need
   more help with our infrastructure. It's easy to propose to help, but
   what we need is people who can help and stay, because we'll have
   issues again in the future. That being said, I'm not in the
   infrastructure team and I can't say where help is needed.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.