Re: Git vs SVN (was: Can we improve things?)

On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 00:29 +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
> On 9/9/07, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-09-09 at 18:49 +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
> > > Nothing is ever solved by letting others be
> > > responsible for solving problems that may have been introduced by you.
> > > Or vice versa. That's a basic fact in SCM.
> >
> > But more often than not the build is left broken by a translator.
>
> But translation commits are also account for a significant share of
> the total number of commits, so any "statistics" are bound to be
> skewed some way if you don't account for the selection.

Fair enough.  What surprises me though is that many translators never
build the software and probably don't test their translation before
committing.  At least that's my impression from watching how broken a
state some leave the module in.

> Still, I supposed this situation had improved since there were
> mandatory precommit checks introduced. Isn't that the case? If not,
> this can probably be improved in a lot of ways.

po/ is hardly a problem these days.  Most common case of broken build in
my experience has been translators moving user docs to gnome-doc-utils
and not correctly updating Makefile.am and configure.ac.  That may just
be a problem in the wiki page about the migration.

> Christian

This really belongs to gnome-i18n.

--
behdad