Re: Git vs SVN (was: Can we improve things?)

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 08:29:35AM +0300, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> 2007/9/8, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org>:
> > On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 04:47:31PM +0300, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> > > And this all is naturally from the developer/maintainer POV, as
> > > translators and documentors do not benefit from this as much. But as
> > > the general opinion seems to be, they shouldn't be forced to use SCM:s
> > > directly anyway.
> >
> > That is a theoretical discussion. Ideally GNOME has a D-SCM now and all
> > translators use a websystem that automatically translators. It doesn't exist.
>
> Of course it is theoretical since there's no hope (nor sense) in
> switching over to anything before there are tools. As is pointed out,
> it would make things worse for non-developres.

D-SCM systems exist. Such a translator tool does not. Especially as
someone has to write that tool, I do not like discussions that involve a
tool 'someone will write' (well, unless one of the damned-lies people
shows a clear proposal; including authentication bits).

> But that doesn't mean the discussion needs to be punted indefinetly,
> and statements like "I don't want to learn a new SCM" are really not
> contributing to a discussion of the benefits a new tool would give to
> developers. At least I thought we were discussing exactly that.

I disagree. It translates to easy of use. Why should I have to care how
a SCM works? A tool should either warn me strongly before doing
something wrong, or prevent it outright. It should have a --help that is
understandable. The man pages should have the most common usages, etc.

I'm all for some D-SCM tool that provides benefits to people who
understand (D-)SCM in&out, but I need to use it as well. Perhaps git now
is good enough, no idea. But just discussing benefits of some tool
without discussing ease of use is ignoring part of the users.

--
Regards,
Olav