Re: Git vs SVN (was: Can we improve things?)

2007/9/8, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org>:
> On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 04:47:31PM +0300, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> > 2007/9/8, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org>:
> > > On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 05:56:38AM -0400, Kevin Kubasik wrote:
> > > Let's summarize it as: I don't know any D-SCM :-) (only investigate by
> > > checking out docs)
> > > (but I am also not interested in learning a SCM)
> >
> > Hopefully that doesn't translate "I don't know and I don't care"...
>
> It translates to: I really care about not needing to learn an SCM.

Ok, so discussion on the benefits of Git (or others) over SVN seem a
bit pointless from this standpoint.

> Take for example the output of 'git'
>   push          Update remote refs along with associated objects
>
> That to me is a 'wtf?' (1.5.2).

At least it has text, unlike SVN ;)

[snip]
> I didn't have to learn SVN.

You must be a quick learner then. I remember having to refer to the
SVN book loads of times before I could use SVN for merging and so on.

> > And this all is naturally from the developer/maintainer POV, as
> > translators and documentors do not benefit from this as much. But as
> > the general opinion seems to be, they shouldn't be forced to use SCM:s
> > directly anyway.
>
> That is a theoretical discussion. Ideally GNOME has a D-SCM now and all
> translators use a websystem that automatically translators. It doesn't exist.

Of course it is theoretical since there's no hope (nor sense) in
switching over to anything before there are tools. As is pointed out,
it would make things worse for non-developres.

But that doesn't mean the discussion needs to be punted indefinetly,
and statements like "I don't want to learn a new SCM" are really not
contributing to a discussion of the benefits a new tool would give to
developers. At least I thought we were discussing exactly that.

> Although there is now some progress towards D-SCM, I don't see
> such a websystem happening. Also am not sure if a websystem is the most
> appropriate way.

I'd much rather see something like SCM support for gtranslate which
would give a comfortable tool to translate and send changes to the
server.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi