Re: On Boston Summit organization and delegation [was Re: A question to candidates]

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 17:44 +0000, Ghee Teo wrote:
> > Part of the issue is the Boston Summit is always in Boston where as
> > GUADEC can always get fresh enthusiastic teams to help out.  This is
> > because in order to become a host city for GUADEC you already have to
> > have a team assembled to make and sell a bid.  This is helped by the
> > fact that host cities and organizers often see prestige in hosting
> > GUADEC.
> >
> Have the board paused and thought why the Summit has to be Boston?
> Is it because most hackers work around Boston? May be it was the case.
> Is it still true now? Are there other locations that substantial  number of
> hackers are around?
>
> Just some thoughts :)

It is called the "Boston" Summit. All joking asside cost is the main
issue.  The Boston Summit is supposed to be a more informal and
efficient gathering where GUADEC is the big bang go all out conference
so budgets are handled accordingly.  Having it in one city allows us to
theoretically keep costs down and make sure the quality is still there.
There is also historically a large contingent of GNOME hackers in
Boston.  We did have it in New York one year.  In fact that was the
first year I went since being in NY meant I just had to hop a couple of
trains to get there.  The venue was, shall we say, less than desirable,
though it worked out for me.  So there are always pros and cons to the
equation.  Right now I think the pros still outweigh the cons in keeping
it in Boston but who knows what the future brings.  If someone wanted to
organize in some other city and could put together a detailed proposal
there is nothing stopping the board from considering it.

--
John (J5) Palmieri <johnp redhat com>