Re: bounties?

On Nov 8, 2007 8:29 AM, Liam R E Quin <liam holoweb net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 11:53 +0100, Johannes Schmid wrote:
> [...]
> > Just a short note on the success of bounties. The Anjuta Project
> > (www.anjuta.org/tasks, list is not completely up-to-date) put bounties
> > of overall about 4000$ in place about two years ago. Only about half of
> > those have been worked on since and the biggest part was done by already
> > active developers who had done some patches in the area where the bounty
> > appeared before.
>
> The bounty is rarely enough to substitute for full-time pay.  So you had
> to be willing to do the work anyway.
>
> It might work better to give gifts -- Gnome socks, X.org underpants,
> a certificate to hang on the wall, or whatever.
>
> Gnome Miles. :)
I actually really like the idea of something like this, I think a
tracking system for it may not seem worth the time, but I'm willing to
do some time with regard to a system for this if the interest is
there.

With that out of the way, this could be a great system, we could
allocate maintainers 1000 GP each release, as well as selling GP to
anyone who wants to buy it, except the money goes right to Gnome. (A
great way to generate revenue for Gnome) then Gnome offers some 'cool'
prizes (the tee-shirts, hats, posters, stickers etc. ). The exact
ratio of $1->1GP and what the 'cost' of a hat is can all be determined
later (specifically when we have an idea of what kind of money is
available).

In addition this has the great benefit of spreading Gnome Goodness!

Thoughts?
Kevin