Re: academic cooperation

On Nov 8, 2007 8:12 AM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak <mjc avtechpulse com> wrote:
> Fernando San Martín Woerner wrote:
> >> I'm working with a French professor doing a computer science course and
> >> using GNOME as a basis for the projects. Also, David Bolter put me in
> >> contact with a professor who's interested in having students do some
> >> GNOME-related projects. There's also a group of three students who want
> >> to do their bachelor degree project on GNOME.
> >
> > Also i'm working with two students in Chile, the are doing their degree
> > about GNOME topics, mainly applying the platform on vineyards and
> > winerys and usability also.
>
> Vincent and Fernando, could you update http://live.gnome.org/Academic to
> add links to these projects?
>
> Other people: do you have ideas for student research? I added one
> example to the wiki (a better redeye removal algorithm), there must be
> plenty of others. Students always need research ideas...

I can give that a hearty second ;)

While research is awesome, I know there are also classes that just
require students to track an open source project and eventually submit
a patch (its more the process thats being taught then the actual
coding itself, how to work within an existing framework) I know the
University of Maryland has such a class, I think that closer
integration with classes like these could be invaluable. Think, a long
list of (not impossible, but more than 1 or 2 line fixes) bugs that we
could share with a school or class, the flip side is of course that we
would need some major man hours to be available for patch review and
comment etc. (Think GSoC maybe?)

Dunno, just know the classes exist, I would bet good money that they
would love to have input from us so that more of the students patches
are getting accepted (I know that for each class only a few actually
make it into projects, while an inevitable 10-20% is just the student
can't code well enough yet, there are plenty which could probably be
usable if the student knew more about the bugfixing process, sharing
our standards/system with the professor of such a class, would me we
could get lots of usable patches. (as I understand the problem is that
projects have such different systems for this, that the professor can
only teach one or two and tends to teach them as methodologies in the
abstract. I don't know specifics, but if theres interest, I can get
some. :) )

Thought I would throw the idea out.