Re: Mailing lists (Re: Candidacy: Joachim Noreiko)

On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 17:08 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 16:55 -0300, Mariano Su�z-Alvarez wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd like to see something like this too... not necessarily a literal
> > > 'call centre' with VOIP (although that's cool too), but at least some
> > > dedicated team of feedback-meisters to triage users' problems and
> > > comments (whether on mailing lists, IRC, forums or elsewhere), and make
> > > sure they all get to the appropriate place.
> >
> > That's pretty much a description of #gnome.
>
> #gnome seems to be as dead as a dodo these days, though, and there's an
> awful lot of GNOME users out there who don't use IRC anyway.

Well, it is as dead as the people lurking in it let it be. I sort of
expect myself to try to help people who come into that channel to ask
questions and I am quite sure quite a few of the other people lurking
could do the same.

An IRC channel surely only helps people using IRC, of course. But IRC is
a rather simple thing to set up (I would imagine every modern distro
installs xchat or some variant) and use, and requires very little
resources on the side of the users; on the other hand, I know very few
(regular) people here in .ar who have simultaneously a working setup of
some variant of VOIP and an internet connection good enough to turn
their VOIPish setup into something usable.

A bit OT, but related: has #gnome withered away because of what,
exactly? I'm guessing knowing what did not work in that case would be
useful to avoid having the next attempt work better...

-- m

--
Mariano Su�z-Alvarez
http://www.gnome.org/~mariano