Re: Code of conduct (bis)

On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 15:02 +0100, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A while back, Murray asked the board to pronounce itself on the code of
> conduct.
>
> We have had several debates on the issue, both on the mailing list and
> on conference calls, and Murray asked me to relay the conclusions to the
> membership.
>
> The feeling of the board (a majority opinion, rather than unanimous) is
> that the code of conduct would be more hurt than helped by being pushed
> by us. Its adoption really needs to be bottom-up.

Thanks for being the messenger. I am deeply disappointed by this. I
think it's a failure of leadership and a failure to stand up for our
most basic common values. From an otherwise sensible board.

This was really the only way that this could be done. It will be
logistically almost impossible for me to individually persuade every
single mailing list, project maintainer, and sysadmin to endose this
explicitly. But "GNOME rejects Code of Conduct" is such an awful signal
that I'll try to do that anyway.

Or do the new board candidates see this more clearly?
http://live.gnome.org/CodeOfConduct

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com