Code of conduct (bis)

Hi,

A while back, Murray asked the board to pronounce itself on the code of
conduct.

We have had several debates on the issue, both on the mailing list and
on conference calls, and Murray asked me to relay the conclusions to the
membership.

The feeling of the board (a majority opinion, rather than unanimous) is
that the code of conduct would be more hurt than helped by being pushed
by us. Its adoption really needs to be bottom-up.

The issue is divisive, even within the board, and I don't think that we
can come out as a group and say "the board thinks we should do this" -
even in an advisory role. Adoption of a code of conduct should be
something that people in the community do as part of their daily work.
Olav has been a shining example of this in Bugzilla.

If approval for a CoC comes from the top, that will endanger the
bottom-up adoption by giving the impression the board imposing it on the
community, which is an impression we wish to avoid.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary