Re: Questions to the candidates

Hi,

On sam, 2005-11-19 at 09:04 -0500, Curtis Hovey wrote:
> 1. How much time can you dedicate to the board each week?

My time is quite flexible. But I think I can give ~1 hour per day. There
are obviously some days where I won't be able to have time for the
board, and some other where I'll have more time. It also depends on what
kind of activity is needed: it's easier to answer some mails than to
talk with lawyers, eg :-)

> 2. How flexible is your time; can you dedicate extra time one week and
> less the next?

Pasted from [1]:

Sure I can. This will of course have an impact on my other
contributions, but this is already how I'm working.

> 3. Please rank your interests:
> 	a. GNOME evangelizing to government, enterprise, small
> 	   business, and individuals
> 	b. GNOME marketing and merchandising of branded items
> 	   nationally and internationally
> 	c. GNOME legal issues like copyright and patents
> 	d. GNOME finances and fund raising
> 	e. Alliance with other organizations.

Pasted from [1]:

All of the items are important for the Foundation :-)
Here's how I rank them, as in "here's what I'm most interested in":
 b, a, e, d, c

> 4. Explain how you expect to meet you goals.

I certainly expect other people to meet most of my goals :-) The idea is
really to get people more involved in what the Foundation is doing.

In [1], I talked about having more things discussed on foundation-list
and about having someone help with events everywhere in the world (I
wrote "someone", but a small team would work too ;-)).

I'll also continue to spread the word about GNOME in France (and
french-speaking countries, if I can), but I'll do this even if I'm not
elected :-)

> 5. Name one of your accomplishments if you have ever served on the
> board.

I was not on the board.

> 6. Please assess GNOME:
> 	a. What are its strengths

+ Its community.
+ Its philosophy.
+ How we (at least try to) care about a lot of stuff: translations,
  documentation, accessibility, etc. (although we could certainly do a
  good job)
+ Love :-)

> 	b. What are its weaknesses

+ I feel we should see our users more and make them happier. I've
  written something about this:
  http://www.vuntz.net/journal/2005/10/19/328-make-it-fun
+ we should make simple tasks more visible so that new contributors can
  try to get involved more easily. And review their work asap. I have no
  magic solution for this, though.

> 	c. What are its opportunities

I believe GNOME can be used in a lot of places (think big deployments,
but also really smaller ones). Having a lot of users will bring us more
contributors (as Quim previously noted).

I also think having the GNOME technologies used in some other places
(like what Nokia is doing) can only improve our work.

> 	d. What are its threats

So, I'm not sure about "threats". But there are clearly some
difficulties, like convincing our future users to switch to GNOME :-)

Also, pasted from [1]:
I don't see real threats, but some difficulties: formats that are not
open, hardware with closed specification, etc.

> 7. Name the best album you purchased in the last year.

Ah, easy: La Grand-Messe (Les Cowboys Fringants)

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2005-November/msg00101.html

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas press�