Re: Time synchronization [was: GPS geotagging: first steps to implementation]

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 31.08.2010, 11:16 +0200 schrieb Jan Girlich:
> Am Dienstag, den 31.08.2010, 07:52 +0200 schrieb Mike Gemünde:
> You just repeated the problem I'm trying to solve with my idea: the
> camera clocks are way off. I proposed a semi-automatic way to correct
> the EXIF timestamps properly.
>
> Positioning one photo correctly on a map is not a very good solution
> because people usually spend more time than one second at one spot to
> take a picture. So by placing one picture correctly you only determine a
> time frame of several minutes, which is not accurate enough and causes
> the user to position several pictures until he pinpointed the time
> properly for the whole import roll.
>
> My way for time synchronization has two advantages:
>
> 1) More accurate (and easier to use, I think).
>
> 2) Can be implemented right now, all the necessary libs are available
> (No need for a map widget).

First, geotagging without a map widget is IMHO useless. Second, you are
right, more than one point could have the same time.

I think your solution could be something like a 'professional-mode'.
But, every solution should be able to show the resulting location on a
map such that the user can accept (or refuse and/or adjust) it.

However, I don't want you to prevent from implementing it.

regards,
Mike

> Cheers
> Jan
>
> PS: You really use local time for your photos? How do you handle
> crossing different time zones when traveling and thus pictures being
> taken at the same local time and date?

yeah, I use local time. If I shoot a sunset and the time is 12:00 ...
that doesn't sound real. I haven't problems with it so far.
(when I travel across multiple time zones, I'm usually jet-lagged and do
not take photos... :-))