Re: [Evolution] Suddenly Japanese language no longer working

On 2021-07-17 at 08:48 +0000, Axel Lieber wrote:
Been using Evolution for about a half year now (on Ubuntu). Through
several updates there was never any problem, Japanese language emails
would be displayed correctly and writing them was also fine. Never
had to do anything special, it just worked.  Three days ago (I think)
there was a wholesale automatic update to the system. The sort that
includes a hodgepodge of stuff, including firmware updates, drivers,
libraries and also Evolution. Since that update, Japanese appears as
gibberish. I've tried changing the character encoding settings to no
avail. Wasn't ever necessary before, and shouldn't be. But anyway, I
tried, and no dice.

Ubuntu 20.04
Evolution EWS 3.40.3

I guess Evolution itself is 3.40.3 as well?

Any suggestions?

View → Message source

See which charset the message states to be (should be in the Content-
Type: header).
Check which charset it is actually using. You may need to decode some
base64 or quoted-printable. Then test some encoding (you can use
iconv(1)) to find out this. Typically the Japanese will be in JIS or
UTF-8.

Then, knowing which kind of encoding was used, and marked which don't
work should help finding out the error.

Regards