[Evolution] Suddenly Japanese language no longer working

Been using Evolution for about a half year now (on Ubuntu). Through several updates there was never any problem, Japanese language emails would be displayed correctly and writing them was also fine. Never had to do anything special, it just worked.  Three days ago (I think) there was a wholesale automatic update to the system. The sort that includes a hodgepodge of stuff, including firmware updates, drivers, libraries and also Evolution. Since that update, Japanese appears as gibberish. I've tried changing the character encoding settings to no avail. Wasn't ever necessary before, and shouldn't be. But anyway, I tried, and no dice.

Ubuntu 20.04
Evolution EWS 3.40.3

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!