Re: [Evolution] Mailing list filters

On Mon, 2015-03-16 at 14:22 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
But again, it's common sense on most lists

It's not "common sense", in any way.  Someone who's never used mailing
lists before will not just inherently understand this without needing
instruction.

Rather, it's a learned behavior that is obtained by interacting with the
community and learning what the community standards and practices are.
And of course those can change for different communities.

The problem is that the people who most need the help are often new
users who don't have any understanding of these standards yet.
Different types of lists may make different decisions, but user help
lists should be as inclusive as possible, and that means allowing posts
from non-subscribers and replying to all, not just to the mailing list,
to ensure non-subscribers are not dropped.

Anyway, that's the way I run my mailing lists and the way I'll continue
to interact with other, similarly-targeted lists, by default.