Re: [Evolution] using maildir format

On Wed, 2008-12-31 at 11:04 +1030, Dr Mark H Phillips wrote:
Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
The reason I am trying to move to maildir is that I have
a large number of stored emails (which I don't want
to delete) and mbox seems not to handle this situation
well.

Are you having some specific problem?

Performance is the main issue.  Although a few years ago
a hard disk problem meant that I lost an entire mbox
file.  (If I had each email in a separate file I may have lost
much less.)

Very possibly.

A while ago I tried cutting down mbox size by chopping
off older emails into a separate mbox and trying to use
evolutions import facility to import them.  But the import
facility died on me.  I guess I could try it again and see
if it works now.

Stupid question: are you compacting the mbox files regularly (i.e.
expunging them)? Some people have huge mbox files filled with trah
without realizing it.

Apart from that, the big problem with large mbox files is when mail
software has to read the whole file to index it. The latest version of
Evo uses an SQL database for this, which is supposed to be a lot faster
(as long as it stays in sync ...).

Note that maildir-based systems need to open large numbers of smallish
files, which also has a cost.

I do agree about robustness however.

That's a matter of opinion. Maildir was designed to permit multiple
concurrent updates of a mailbox without locking, and is thus suitable
for mail stores kept on a fileserver (e.g. NFS). For local mailboxes
this aspect shouldn't matter. It also follows the one-message-per-file
model rather than mbox's one-folder-per-file so there may be performance
differences, but it's not a simple case of one always being better than
the other.

One-message-per-file sounds like a much more robust
solution.  My understanding is that mbox has long been
regarded as a less than ideal format.
Maildir was discussed in the last few days on this list. Take a look at
the archives (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/).

Thanks.  I found a thread in August entitled: "How to use
maildir as storage format?"  Is this the thread you meant?
(I couldn't find anything more recent than this.)

I meant something much more recent:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2008-December/msg00186.html

poc