re: [howto] generic address book recovery (was: Re: [Evolution] lost

This is a followup to the message below:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2006-February/msg00182.html

I had a problem of loosing a "second" address book I created. I had re-installed linux fresh on my laptop and when I coppies my home dir back, I lost my "Work" address book

I grepped and grepped but had no luck since the files seem to be compressed.

First back up the .evolotion dir!

I did see a funky dir
~/.evolution/addressbook/local/1130439593 11550 4\ jasmin

I then did what the linked message sujested. I create a new address book "Work" and did an evolution --force-shutdown

The following dir appeared :
:~/.evolution/addressbook/local/1149597496 4676 0 jasmin
Then I cp ~/.evolution/addressbook/local/1130439593 11550 4\ jasmin/* :~/.evolution/addressbook/local/1149597496 4676 0 jasmin/

Start evolution
You should see the new addressbook "Work" and it should contain you lost contats.

Good luck...

This seems like a huge bug to me. This creating of the funky dir token which does not seem to cross installs seems to have issues..I want the abilty to "sync" or do simple copy between boxes and have it all work.

I would be nice to have the ablity to tell "Evolution" send all you data to this other running copy of "Evolution" on another box..

Purhaps this is an add on to multi-sync.

Peter

Yahoo Messenger: peteruta
AIM: retepmurray
AIM: utawussing