[Evolution] Mail filters and labels

Hi everybody,
I was planning to switch from thiderbird to evolution. The main reason I would do this is because I need synchronization with my palm appointments and tasks. Till now I used TB & Jpilot, but I would rather prefer a joint solution like Evolution. Using labels (work, important, ecc.) is quite important in order to organize my emails but, surprisingly, I found that it is impossible to make a filter automatically change the label of a message or to filter a message using labels. Moreover, it is possible to change colours but... once you have changed it, it is impossible to use them in any other filtering action.
Is really such a basic feature missing or am I doing something wrong?
I think I could get around the problem using scores (e.g. 10 for personal, 100 for work, etc.) but still it seems absurd that this feature is missing.
I hope that some of you will tell me I am wrong ;-)

Usul