Re: [Evolution] Mismatch between subject and message contents

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 12:10 +0100, Erik Slagter wrote:
[snip]
BTW I suggest you never shutdown when important programs like evolution
are running. You better exit them first anyway. That's not because linux
would not be able to handle that (or similar), but simply because
evolution (or any other gui app) may need user interaction at shutdown,
which you will not be able to handle when you're in the process of
shutting down. Also you may need to do some stuff to make evolution exit
cleanly (mount a disk you forgot, reconnect network, whatever), which
you will not be able to during shutdown.

We had something in mind (and experimental code too) to solve this
issue. What happens when Evolution is 'shutdown' (closed/quit/whatever)
is that it tries to sync up any changes made locally to the Remote IMAP
server. We tried journal-ing any changes that have occurred locally
before the last sync and the time when Evolution is being closed and
then sync it up the next time Evolution starts (in online mode).

But this actually is not the solution for the issue at hand - since we
are just 'moving' the problem elsewhere. Not a good idea. And so the
code was not committed.

And yes, I second Eriks' statement. An App *needs* to cleanup and if its
a mail client using a remote server, sync up with changes need to
happen. We are working on this surely.

Thanks,
partha