Re: [Evolution] Calendar: recurrence, exceptions and occurrences

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 08:08, D. D. Brierton wrote:
Result: only two classes are added to my calendar. It seems the
"exceptions" count as "occurrences". In order to achieve exactly what I
want I have to change the "Recurrence Rule" to ""Every 1 week(s) on W
for 6 occurrences". This strikes me as very counter-intuitive.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to make much sense in this case, because the model
assumes that you don't create exceptions at the time you create the
appointment. Exceptions are the changes you make *after* the appointment
is initially created. You're basically telling Evolution "I want this to
happen four times. No, wait, cancel the middle two." (Maybe
"cancellation" would be a better word to use here than "exception".)

In real life, you would never say "we will meet for the next four
Wednesdays that are not 3/17 or 3/24". You would either say "we will
meet on 3/10, 3/31, 4/7 and 4/14" or "we will meet every Wednesday from
3/10 to 4/14, except 3/17 and 3/24". Evolution doesn't let you say it
the first way (though it could, using iCalendar RDATEs instead of
RRULEs), but it does allow the second form.

-- Dan