Re: [Evolution] Email Harvested? Exploited?

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 06:55, Mark R. Bowyer wrote:
I'm sure this is what's happening.  I got 24 of these bloody things this
morning =O(  And each email had up to 15 messages listed within them.
Someone's Doze box has been a *very* busy infected bunny.

Someone just saved a load of our emails to this list, and when [s]he
then got infected, the virus scanned these saved emails for addresses
for both the To: and From: fields of the email then sent.

Well, if it's a virus then I suppose that nothing can be done but filter
out the messages (which POPfile does nicely).  I just wanted to make
sure that I wasn't in the wrong.

I've gotten back lots of Virus Scanner notifications when someone else
uses my email address, but I haven't seen a subject used that I _might_
have actually sent to someone used before.

Viruses are getting smarter with their social engineering!  ;)

That isn't the really sad thing.  The really sad thing is that Symantec,
who know full well that this is the most usual type of worm/virus these
days, still sells software that creates this spam out of them, wasting
yet more bandwidth, sending these reports to people who've so far had
nothing to do with the infection.  And then that sysadmins that should
know better, like those at Government sites for instance, are stupid
enough to leave them switched on...

I don't mind the fact that I get the mail.  I just wish they would have
put some useful information in the warning, like full headers so I can
see where things are coming from (not the body or attachments, shouldn't
pass around infected files).

It looks like the conclusion is that there is nothing that can be done
by an individual.  This is simply the price of admission to join the
open evolution community (or send an email for that matter).

--
Cheers,

Christopher Ness
Software Engineering IV,
McMaster University
PGP Public Key: http://nesser.homelinux.org/pgp-key/
11:52:16 up 18 min, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.06, 0.12